Save Our Schools has criticised the ACT Government’s new Road Safety Action Plan for wilfully ignoring the impact of school closures on the safety of children walking and cycling longer distances to and from school.
SOS spokesperson, Trevor Cobbold, called on the Government to support national Walk Safely to School Day this Friday by improving traffic safety arrangements for children affected by school closures. Continue reading “Media Release 2 May 2007 – Road Safety Plan Ignores School Students”
Save Our Schools today called on the ACT Government to retain closed school sites for community use and possible re-opening.
SOS spokesperson, Trevor Cobbold, said that the affected communities should have a say in decisions about the future use of the sites.
“These school sites provide essential public facilities. In many instances, school sites provide the only available recreational space in a suburb. Selling the sites will reduce public space for recreational and leisure activities of local neighbourhoods. Continue reading “Media Release – School Sites Should Not be Sold”
The decision of the Stanhope Government to close 12 primary schools and partially close four others has major implications for the future of public education in the ACT.
While the reprieve for 4 schools is welcome, the announcement is the most devastating attack on a public education system since the Kennett Government in Victoria in the 1990s. Continue reading “School Closures Undermine Public Education”
Save Our Schools today accused the Stanhope Government of neglecting student safety in its rush to close schools.
SOS spokesperson, Trevor Cobbold, said that a sample survey of schools proposed for closure has highlighted a number of “black spots” which will place children at greater risk of traffic accidents in walking or cycling to another school. Continue reading “Media release 31 October 2006 – Increased Accident Risks for Children from School Closures”
Save Our Schools today released its 75-page submission on ACT Government’s school closure plan.
SOS spokesperson, Trevor Cobbold, said that the Government has failed to justify its case to close schools on educational, financial or demographic grounds. Continue reading “Media Release 20 November 2006 – School Closure Case Not Substantiated”
The Save Our Schools submission on Towards 2020 rejects the Government’s plan to close schools. It shows that the Government has failed to substantiate its case on educational, financial or demographic grounds.
Towards 2020 constitutes a major threat to the future of public education in the ACT. It will remove easy geographical access to public education for a large number of families. Low income and Indigenous families will bear much of the burden of school closures. It threatens greater inequity in education rather than improved equity as the Government claims.
The submission says there is an alternative to school closures. Excess space in schools should be seen as an opportunity to develop a community school model that will improve education and other services for those most in need. Continue reading “Govt. Has Failed to Substantiate the Case for School Closures”
Save Our Schools says that new research published in the UK last week shows that the majority of school closures lead to a decline in student results.
SOS spokesperson, Trevor Cobbold, said that the research calls into question the whole rationale of the Stanhope Government’s school closure and amalgamation plan. Continue reading “Media release 29 October 2006 – New Research Says School Closures Lower Student Results”
The majority of merged schools deliver lower exam results in the first three years according to new UK research.
A study by the Hay Group, an international management consultancy firm, shows that 55% of merged schools in the UK had a sustained decline in student performance in the three years after the merger than the average for the separate schools in the three years before. Continue reading “Most school mergers lead to lower student achievement”
A report prepared by an independent expert for the ACT P&C Council shows that the ACT Government has failed to sustain a case for its plan to close 39 schools and partially close 5 others. The Government has failed to undertake a comprehensive cost-benefit analysis of the impact of Towards 2020 and major impacts of the plan have not been properly considered. Continue reading “Independent Report Shows that the Govt. has Failed to Sustain a Case for School Closures”
Save Our Schools today called on the Minister for Education to re-estimate the enrolment projections in ACT government schools in the light of birth figures released this week by the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS).
SOS spokesperson, Trevor Cobbold, said that the new figures call into question the whole basis of the ACT Government’s school closure plan. Continue reading “Media release 19 October 2006 – Birth Figures Call School Closure Plan into Question”