Save Our Schools fears that the ACT Government is running another ‘sham consultation process’ for the future use of closed school sites, as the Government has apparently ignored advice on how to run a better and more credible process. Continue reading “Media Release 12 September 2007 – SOS fears ‘another sham process’ over school sites”
Save Our Schools today called on the ACT Government to halt to its school closure program, re-instate teachers cut from government secondary schools and fulfil its election promises on education. SOS spokesman, Trevor Cobbold, said the revised Budget surplus of $117 million should be used to reverse the damage done to public education by last year’s cuts to education. Continue reading “Halt School Closures, Re-instate Teachers, Fulfil Election Promises”
Save Our Schools today accused the ACT Government of perpetrating a financial scam in closing schools and cutting teachers. SOS spokesman, Trevor Cobbold, said that the revised Budget surplus of $117 million for 2006-07 demonstrates Government duplicity or gross incompetence in its education cuts. Continue reading “Government Accused of Financial ‘Scam’ on Education Cuts”
Save Our Schools says that the Budget is all ‘bricks and mortar’ and fails to address student learning needs in government schools.
SOS spokesperson, Trevor Cobbold, said that the ACT Government continued to ignore major inequities in education and had reneged on its election promise to increase staffing in government high schools. Continue reading “All Bricks and Mortar – Nothing to Improve Student Outcomes”
Save Our Schools has accused the ACT Government of financial duplicity over its school closure program. SOS spokesperson, Trevor Cobbold, said that the Budget estimates clearly show that the ACT Government duped the community on school closures. Continue reading “Financial ‘Con’ Trick on School Closures”
Save Our Schools has criticised the ACT Government’s new Road Safety Action Plan for wilfully ignoring the impact of school closures on the safety of children walking and cycling longer distances to and from school.
SOS spokesperson, Trevor Cobbold, called on the Government to support national Walk Safely to School Day this Friday by improving traffic safety arrangements for children affected by school closures. Continue reading “Media Release 2 May 2007 – Road Safety Plan Ignores School Students”
Save Our Schools today called on the ACT Government to retain closed school sites for community use and possible re-opening.
SOS spokesperson, Trevor Cobbold, said that the affected communities should have a say in decisions about the future use of the sites.
“These school sites provide essential public facilities. In many instances, school sites provide the only available recreational space in a suburb. Selling the sites will reduce public space for recreational and leisure activities of local neighbourhoods. Continue reading “Media Release – School Sites Should Not be Sold”
The decision of the Stanhope Government to close 12 primary schools and partially close four others has major implications for the future of public education in the ACT.
While the reprieve for 4 schools is welcome, the announcement is the most devastating attack on a public education system since the Kennett Government in Victoria in the 1990s. Continue reading “School Closures Undermine Public Education”
Save Our Schools today accused the Stanhope Government of neglecting student safety in its rush to close schools.
SOS spokesperson, Trevor Cobbold, said that a sample survey of schools proposed for closure has highlighted a number of “black spots” which will place children at greater risk of traffic accidents in walking or cycling to another school. Continue reading “Media release 31 October 2006 – Increased Accident Risks for Children from School Closures”
Save Our Schools today released its 75-page submission on ACT Government’s school closure plan.
SOS spokesperson, Trevor Cobbold, said that the Government has failed to justify its case to close schools on educational, financial or demographic grounds. Continue reading “Media Release 20 November 2006 – School Closure Case Not Substantiated”